Tuesday, November 3, 2015

5 Things I Learned in the First Month of Living by Myself


1. I'm actually a pretty decent cook.
When I was at home, I would obviously cook for myself, but I would really just want my mom to cook for me constantly. Since starting college, I've made so many incredible meals for myself and I'm beyond proud!

2. Being independent is a lot of hard work.
When I was still at home, I considered myself quite an independent person already, but I honestly had no clue about what being independent meant. I had never opened a bank account by myself or asked questions about public transportation. Now being able to do these things by myself has been scary but extremely rewarding in so many ways.

3. I can actually have a really fun time by myself.
I went out for coffee a few weeks ago by myself for the first time and for some reason, I was terrified. But then I realized how dumb of a thought that was because nearly 50% of the place was filled with people also by themselves. Since then, I went to an exhibition, went back to more coffee shops and walked around the city many all by myself. We forget how much we need alone time when we are constantly surrounded by people.

4. Not everyone will be friendly, but you just have to brush it off.
London is a huge city. Although I love it, there are days that I hate it because some people just always seem to be really unhappy and they will show this through being rude to other people. But what I have realized, is that these peoples actions should not effect me and my day.

5. Being homesick never really ends, it just gets a little bit easier.
My first few weeks here, I was absolutely miserable. I tried so hard to stay calm and enjoy being here but it was so difficult being in a foreign country and not having my friends and family here. But in those weeks I learned a lot about myself. Each day it gets a bit easier, but I still seriously miss California.

xx
Ashley

No comments:

Post a Comment